22 June 2011

Popsicles

I brought Eli's popsicle molds on vacation with us just so we could try different popsicle recipes all summer long. So here is a list of the recipes we tried:

Orange Cream Popsicles
6 oz. (I'm guessing that means 3/4 cup) orange juice concentrate, thawed
2 cups plain yogurt
2 tsp vanilla extract
Put ingredients in a bowl and whip. Pour into 6 popsicle molds and freeze.

I adjusted it up front. After a taste test I added more orange juice concentrate, and some of the Cool Whip I had laying around.

Pudding Popsicles
1 pkg. (3.9 oz.) chocolate pudding, or chocolate fudge pudding
2 cups cold milk
1 cup Cool Whip
Mix pudding with the milk, as per the package instructions. Fold in the cool whip (to prevent an icy popsicle). Pour into 6 popsicle molds and freeze.
optional- 1/2 cup chopped or mashed fruit, or nuts.

I used whole milk deliberately and non light Cool Whip because the store was out. This made these too rich. I was aiming for 100 calories a pop and these were 150. So I will lower the fat next time. I am also sad that the lower sugar options are fake sugars, and so I would not give them to my son.

Strawberry Banana Popsicles
1 banana
1 pkg. (3 oz.) strawberry gelatin dessert (or strawberry banana- which was all I could find).
1 cup boiling water
1 cup strawberry yogurt (I used Mountain High).
Dissolve the gelatin in the cup of boiling water. Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend. Pour into 6 popsicle molds and freeze.

It was a little strong on the banana. I am interested in using plain gelatin and actual blended strawberries. Pretty good.

Tropical Fruit Popsicles
1 cup mandarin oranges with juice
1 cup crushed pineapple
1 mango chopped
1 cup juice, like orange, pineapple or grape.
Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend. Pour into 6 popsicle molds and freeze.

No comments: