05 January 2011

Baba ghanoush

"Baba ghanoush, baba ganush, baba ghannouj or baba ghannoug (Arabic بابا غنوج bābā ġanūj) is an Arab dish of aubergine (eggplant) mashed and mixed with various seasonings. A popular preparation method is for the eggplant to be baked or broiled over an open flame before peeling, so that the pulp is soft and has a smoky taste. Often, it is eaten as a dip with khubz or pita bread, and is sometimes added to other dishes. It is usually of an earthy light-brown color." (from Wikipedia)
My aunt served this to us at a small after Christmas party when we were visiting. She had us eat it on romaine leaves. Everything else was very delicious. But I could not stand the baba ghanoush. She had two different varieties, so I tried both just to give it more than one chance. Now that I know that it is always made with eggplant, the mystery is solved. Sadly, there are certain foods I have a physical reaction to and cannot eat, no matter how much I wish I could like them because I know they are healthy for me, and that others with good taste will hold me in scorn for not liking them. One such food is sweet potatoes. My mother-in-law once made a shepherd's pie using sweet potatoes rather than potatoes. Politeness wise I was highly motivated to get it down somehow, but I literally could not eat it. Potatoes in general seem to stick in the back of my throat and are hard to swallow. Many yellow spices disagree with me. I cannot swallow much of the squash family. And, perhaps I dislike smoky favor- viewing my recent taste test and dislike of adobo.
I was grateful to have the opportunity to try something new. But this dish is a nemesis.

No comments: