20 April 2008

Oatmeal Mix

I did this for Matt. I want to send him off in the morning having eaten a healthy breakfast. However, you all know that I am not a morning person. So I need to have as much as possible prepared in advance. My first experiment is a much less expensive (I hope) than instant flavored oatmeal packets.
3 c quick cooking oats.
1/2 c coarsely chopped dried apples
1/2 c powdered non-dairy creamer
6 tsp brown sugar (I cut the recipe down to a tsp per serving)
2 tsp ground cinnamon
they call for a tsp of salt. I omitted it.
Then, each morning you put 1/2 c of the oatmeal mixture in a bowl, add 2/3 c boiling water, stir and then let thicken 2 minutes before eating.
We'll see how well this is received.
Results: Success! Matt liked it and will eat it, even though he supposedly doesn't like oatmeal. I also put some applesauce in it for a little extra fruit and sweetness, since he likes his oatmeal sweet.

No comments: