06 January 2010

Pasta with Roasted vegetables and Arugula


From Everyday Food Jan/Feb 2010

I made this tonight and it was a hit- with me at least. You know when Hermione says Ron has the emotional range of a teaspoon. I think Matt has the taste bud range of said utensil.

2 pints grape tomatoes
4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
3 shallots, cut into eighths (I substituted onion)
2 TBS fresh thyme leaves (I used dried)
2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
8 oz. rigatoni pasta
1/3 c olives, chopped
3 c baby arugula or spinach

To make this a full meal, I added some cooked, ground turkey

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place tomatoes, garlic, shallots, and thyme on rimmed baking sheet. Toss with oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast until tomatoes are burst, shallots are browned and garlic is soft, 20 to 25 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente. Reserve 1/4 c pasta water; drain pasta and return to pot. (I found I needed more).
3. Peel roasted garlic and mash with the flat side of a chef's knife. Add to pasta pot, along with vegetables, olives, and pasta water. Cook over med-high until sauce thickens, about 3 minutes. Let cool slightly, then toss with arugula.

I was perhaps more shy with the spinach, which was what I used, than I needed to be. I was afraid because I don't like the taste of raw spinach. But, even with cooling the pasta for a few minutes the spinach still wilted a little and wasn't so bitter. Probably arugula is the better choice in the end.

W/o turkey 350 calories per serving, 9.5 g fat (1.4 g sat fat); 58.2 g carb; 5.2 g fiber; 10.7 g protein.

No comments: