30 April 2008

Freezer Lasagne

I modified this, and am going to keep tinkering with it.
1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 lb Italian sausage (I just did all ground beef)
1 onion, chopped
Brown, drain, then add:
1 clove garlic, minced
1 pint stewed tomatoes (I did a can, petite diced)
1 can tomato soup (I think this maybe makes it too sweet. Can substitute an equivalent amount tomato sauce)
1 TBS parsley
2 TBS Sweet Basil
Heat to boiling, reduce heat and simmer 1 hour (I skipped this step the second time I made this but am not adverse to trying it this way again). Meanwhile mix and have ready:
1 C cottage cheese
1 C ricotta cheese (low fat)
1/4 c Parmesan
1 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp oregano
Reserve 1/2 C meat sauce for top. In an ungreased foil lined baking pan(s). (I didn't line them with foil. It seems more wasteful). Make 3 layers each of sauce, uncooked noodles, cheese mixture and mozzarella cheese:
4 C mozzarella, shredded
Spread reserved sauce over top. Sprinkle with:
1/2 C Parmesan cheese.
Cover with foil and freeze.
To serve: Thaw (in fridge, overnight). Bake uncovered for 1 hour at 350 degrees.
Pans 1 9x13 or 2 9x9

I want to add spinach to this. I know Shiree tried to talk me through it but I found this complicated enough having never really made it before. With the uncooked noodles it was a lot easier.

No comments: