09 March 2008

Experimenting with granola

My ward is experimenting with a pilot program to teach people to use their food storage. What I like about it is that the recipes use the staples that you have around. And they are simple enough that you actually will try things you have been putting off trying to another day.

6 c rolled oats
1/2 c brown sugar (I used )
1 c coconut (omitted due to the fact Matt hates it.)
1/3 c sesame seeds
1/4 c sunflower seeds
1/2-1 c raisins (optional)
1 c chopped nuts

Mix all ingredients together except raisins. In a separate bowl, whisk together:
1/2 c oil
1/3 c honey ( you do it second and guesstimate it into the cup that had the oil so it doesn't stick.)
2 tsp. vanilla

Pour over dry mixture. Stir and coat thoroughly. Spread on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Stir frequently to insure even baking.Add the raisins during the last 5 minutes of baking. If using in other recipes leave out the dried fruit.
It is important to watch this process very carefully. The cereal should be golden brown. Do not over bake.
Let the cereal cool on a baking sheet. When cooled break up any large pieces. Store in an airtight container. I've heard it's even better to keep it in the fridge. Makes 8 cups. Best not to double this recipe.

Results: I thought it was good, if less crispy then store bought granola. It wasn't too sweet, I thought ( which was perhaps evidenced by Matt's adding some sugar to his bowl). Matt said it was good too, which was good because I made it for Matt since Eli ate all his cereal. It was a lot quicker and easier to cook then I thought it would be. The biggest issue was chopping those nuts. I need a better tool or method. Also, I thought the raisins were over done even with 5 minutes cooking. Perhaps my oven runs warm. I will try granola again, with more complexity. Or, I just read something that says if a recipe calls for something to be baked in a pan it means a metal pan, and if it calls for a dish then it means pyrex. If you use pyrex when it calls for metal then you need to lower the oven temperature by 25 degrees.

1 comment:

Indy said...

It was very yummy. I tasted it while I was visiting. I loved it with soy milk. That probably added sweetness to the food. I can't wait to try it myself.