25 March 2013

A Spicy, Spanish Inspired Dinner

Sweet and Spicy Spanish Rice from Betty Crocker's Good and Easy Cookbook

Ingredients
3/4 lb. pork boneless loin, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (I omitted this all together because this was going to be a side dish)
1/2 c coarsely chopped red onion (I used dehydrated)
2 c water
1 c uncooked regular long grain rice (I used a blend I had in the fridge and needed to use up)
3/4 c thick and chunky salsa
1/4 c peach or apricot preserves (I used some orange ones in the fridge that I had to use up)
1-2 TBS lime juice
chopped avocado, if desired (I desired but didn't have any)

Directions
You are supposed to cook the pork in a skillet with the onion but I skipped that step since I wasn't using the pork. I cooked up the rice, then stirred in the salsa, preserves, lime juice and I added some green chilies, let it heat, then served.

Nutrition Facts (Including the pork chops)
Serving Size:
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Amount per Serving:
Total Calories 335, Total fat 5 g, Saturated fat 2 g, Cholesterol 35 mg, Sodium 160 mg, Carbohydrate 57 g, Dietary Fiber total 2 g, Protein 18 g

Spicy Mexicali Drumsticks from Betty Crocker's Good and Easy Cookbook

Ingredients
1/3 c buttermilk
1,4 tsp. red pepper sauce
2/3 c cornmeal
2 tsp taco seasoning mix (this had to be homemade since I didn't have any)
8 chicken drumsticks (about 1 3/4 lbs.) (I used 4 thighs, which were about 1 1/2 lbs. and I removed the skin beforehand)
Salsa, if desired

Directions
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 9x13 rectangular pan.
2. Mix buttermilk and pepper sauce in a bowl. Mix cornmeal and seasoning mix in a bowl with a lid. (It said plastic bag, but I thought, lets not waste a plastic bag. Reduce, re-use, recycle).
3. Dip chicken in buttermilk mixture, then shake in the bowl with the lid to coat with the cornmeal mixture. Place in pan. Drizzle with oil. (How much is a drizzle? How coated should it be? I was wishing I had an oil mister to evenly cover the chicken, but not to drown it in oil).
4. Bake uncovered for 40-45 minutes, turning once. Serve with salsa.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 2 drumsticks (or 1 thigh)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Amount per Serving:
Total Calories 350, Total fat 17 g, Saturated fat 5 g, Cholesterol 95 mg, Sodium 190 mg, Carbohydrate 20 g, Dietary Fiber total 1 g, Protein 30 g

No comments: