20 September 2010

Black Bean, Edamame, and Wheat Berry Salad

Serves 6 (3/4-cup servings)
Ingredients
4 cups water
1/2 cup dry wheat berries
1/2 of a 15-ounce can of black beans, rinsed and drained (I used the whole can because I didn't want the 2nd half to go to waste).
1 cup frozen, shelled edamame, thawed
1 cup chopped tomato
1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
2 Tbsp. Pompeian Red Wine Vinegar
3 Tbsp. Pompeian OlivExtra Plus
Salt and black pepper to taste

Directions
1. Combine water and wheat berries in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 55 minutes or until wheat berries are just tender. 2. Place in a fine mesh strainer and run under cold water to cool quickly, drain well. 3. Combine the wheat berries with the remaining ingredients in a medium bowl. Serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 8 hours in advance.

I ate mine immediately after preparing and that was a mistake. The red onion was so strong it almost made me sick. The next day it wasn't so pungent and I was OK. So either use green onions or wait a day. Also, I thought it could have used a lower wheat berry ratio. This was my first experience with edamame and it seemed to taste only slightly better than a Lima bean so I'm not sold on them. Perhaps I needed another brand or something.

No comments: