02 September 2009

Barley and Lentil Stew (very chewy)

I included these informational articles on Kale because it was one of those never used ingredients for me. SAR knows I tried to use the Kale once before, but ended up just letting it rot in the fridge. Well this time I used it. I don't know if this recipe was a winner- it was a bit bland to me. But I also didn't follow it exactly (I didn't have a barley leaf or miso on hand).

3/4 c barley
3/4 c lentils
6 c water (I had to add quite a bit more as I cooked)
1 large bay leaf
3 c cubed sweet potatoes (I used regular potatoes because I can't stand sweet potatoes. Big floury potatoes have gotten a bad rap lately so I used smaller, baby potatoes which supposedly have a lower Glycemic Index than a regular potato).
3 c chopped kale
1 head of garlic, peeled and minced (I didn't dare actually add a whole head).
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
2 TBS dark miso
1/4 c water
3 TBS sesame seeds (omitted)

In a large pot boil the water with the lentils and barley. Reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes. Add everything else, simmer for another 15 minutes, adding water as necessary. Remove from heat. Add miso to 1/4 c water, then add to stew. Cover and let set for several minutes.
Toast sesame seeds in a small, hot dry skillet, stirring until golden, and add.

Since I didn't have miso I used chicken broth and added some cubed chicken. I wasn't sure if I liked how sticky the water boiling the lentils and barley got. I wanted the lentils to retain more of their texture. Maybe I would make sure the lentils outnumbered the barley.

So, the Kale experiment. When they call it peppery, they aren't kidding. Without a bit of pepper in the stew, it tasted like I had added pepper. I removed the middle stem from the kale, but wished either/or I had cut the Kale up smaller or cooked it longer. It really doesn't wilt like spinach. I will continue the experiment.

No comments: